It is not uncommon for firms to develop an app for their business; this can be a simple informative app or a custom eCommerce app. The feature set of mobile devices continues to expand with rapid advancement in technologies. This means it is possible for mobile apps to offer more and develop a wide range of applications. All types of businesses can develop a mobile app like start-ups as well as well-established businesses. A mobile app helps improve the credibility of the business. One of the major reasons why businesses hesitate while developing a mobile app is the cost.
There is no fixed cost for an app; since there are many different factors that influence the cost. The average cost to develop an app in Australia is $50,000 to $250,000. The size of the app and the type of features influence the development costs to a great extent as does the location of the development team. This article provides more information on the cost to develop a mobile application.
Types of Mobile Apps Development
Android and iPhone are the two popular devices for which businesses develop apps. It is quite understandable for firms to not be aware of what is the estimated cost for android and iOS apps. This mainly depends on the features of the application.
These are either native, hybrid or web-based apps. App development cost is also based on development type. The hybrid apps or cross-platform apps tend to cost less since a single code base usually suffices for both platforms. There are many types of apps like banking, taxi, event, entertainment, on-demand apps, etc.
Here is a list of the popular type of apps:
- Basic Apps: This is a basic app as the name suggests which focuses on offering a single function as a simple game, calculator, etc. It will typically take less than a month to develop and cost $1000 to $2000 to develop.
- Data-Driven Apps: This is a feature-rich app that is based on data from various sources either local or external like a map, weather, etc. It can take up to 2 months to develop such an application. It will typically cost up to $20,000 to develop such an app.
- Apps with Personal profile: This type of app will typically have authentication features and be developed for popular brands or firms. It can take up to 5 months to develop and cost upwards of $50,000.
- eCommerce: An eCommerce can cost $50,00 to $240,000 and take up to 1 year to develop.
- Social Networking: Social networking apps also cost between $50,000 to $240,000 and can take up to 10 months to develop.
- On-Demand app: This type of app is vital for businesses that offer a delivery or ordering service and can cost close to $80,000 to develop. It can take 6 months to 12 years to develop.
- IoT Hardware: Apps using technologies like IoT can cost more than $50,000 and take up to 6 months to develop.
- Marketplace: Marketplace apps like hotel booking or that to book a trip can cost upwards of $240,000 to develop.
Factors That Affect Development Cost
- The greater the complexity of the application the more it will cost. Adding features like social media integration (Facebook), VR/AR technology, AI/ML, etc. Some of the other issues include the size of the application, platform, level of security and complexity of the user interface.
- Almost all applications will have a database however those without one will cost less. Adding features like authentication, payment, location, tend to cost more as well.
- Developing an app exclusively for Android or iOS will keep the costs low. Opting for a cross-platform app can also keep the costs low. However, developing individual apps for each platform will increase the cost.
- Many mobile app companies offer such a service, however; all tend to charge differently. Hence the one you select will affect the cost as well.
What is the average app development cost?
The obvious factors that affect the development costs include the company you select and where the company is located. There are several other factors that affect cost however, it can cost anywhere between $1000 to $250,000 to develop one.
Here is how the cost of app development varies:
App Development Cost based on the city.
App Development cost based on the State
Breakdown of Mobile App Development Cost.
A more in-depth look at the cost of developing a mobile application will reveal that there are several other factors that affect the cost. This includes the skill level of the developers, the methodology being used and the specifications of your app. Your budget, design preference, maintained plan, complexity also makes a big difference.
It is important to note that besides the development cost of your mobile app; there are several other expenses. This includes server fees, fees charged by App store and Google Play Store, maintenance charges, marketing and cost of other third-party services.
It is also important to note that the development costs vary by country as well; hence one can also consider outsourcing the task to another country. Here is a breakdown of how app development costs around the world on an hourly basis:
Tips to Hire an App Developer
Hire a firm that takes the time to understand your business to ensure you end up with a good app. Always verify the portfolio to ensure they have good UI/UX skills to create a stunning application. Opt for a professional firm that has a knack for keeping it simple; yet practical to ensure you gain an edge over your competitors. Vrinsoft is a firm with over 80 employees and has successfully developed over 500 projects.
We are an award-winning company in Australia with several certifications as well. All our previous clients have only good things to say about us. We have a highly skilled team of developers with skills to develop native as well as cross-platform mobile applications. Contact Vrinsoft for smart and affordable mobile apps that will not burn a hole in your pocket.